Salt Crusted Chicken is a simple and delicious way to cook a whole bird. Recipe and technique included.
Making an oven roasted chicken is probably one of the first dishes that we feel like accomplished cooks when first done. I know I sure did. Pulling out an entirely cooked, steamy golden bird. Setting it on the table. Ready for the family to enjoy. It felt that I had arrived. I was doing something right with this whole homemaking thing.
But to be honest, its not one of my favorite ways to eat chicken. It never has been. Truth is, I find it a bit boring. But as my younger self it somehow made the list on dinners to conquer. Getting a bit more advanced in my cooking skills has led me to find this technique.This Salt Crusted Chicken recipe has since become my go to way for preparing a whole bird.
Not only is it simple but it is delicious and the chicken is packed with so much flavor that it makes great leftovers. When making a whole chicken I can often get 3 full meals worth of meat from a single chicken. But I suppose it really does depend on how many people you have to feed.
But no matter how many people you have to feed, chicken is a staple meat dish for most. It is always a better value when bought whole. So it really does make sense to try to find new ways to prepare a full bird. This one you have stumbled upon is a winner in my book.
Not much is needed to make this chicken however a dutch oven works best and is what I use every time.
What You Will Need To Make a Salt Crusted Chicken
1 full chicken
3 1/2 cups or roughly 2.5 lbs of kosher salt
6 springs of fresh rosemary
Tools You Will Need
Heat your oven to 475℉/ 246℃. Pour about a cup of the kosher salt in the bottom of the pot. Add a couple rosemary sprigs to the pot. Make sure chicken is washed and ready to be cooked. Place it breast side down and then cover with the remaining salt. Top with the rest of the rosemary sprigs.
Place lid on and pop into the oven to cook for approximately 90 minutes. When done, remove from the oven. Uncover and smack the salt crust with a large spoon to break open the crust.
Remove the salt and flip the bird over onto a waiting serving dish.
You don’t have to turn it over but for presentation I find the chicken looks much more enticing as the skin is golden. Either way you serve the chicken, it is ready to eaten. Slice and serve.
Pin For Later
Shop This Post
If you try this recipe and love it, I would greatly appreciate you coming back to give it 5 stars!
- 1 full chicken
- 6 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 1/2 cups or 2.5 lbs of kosher salt
Tools You Will Need:
- Heat your oven to 475℉/ 246℃.
- Pour about a cup of the kosher salt in the bottom of the pot.
- Add a couple rosemary sprigs to the pot. Make sure chicken is washed and ready to be cooked.
- Place is breast side down and then cover with the remaining salt.
- Top with the rest of the rosemary sprigs.
- Place the lid on and pop it into the oven to cook for approximately 90 minutes.
- When done, remove from oven.
- Uncover and smack the salt crust with a large spoon to break. Remove the salt and flip the bird over onto a waiting serving dish. You don't have to turn it over but for presentation I find the chicken to look much more enticing as the skin is golden. Either way, the chicken is ready to be eaten.
- Slice and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 32Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 73262mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g