These Easiest Overnight Oats are well, the easiest to make. Prepping them takes minimal effort and results in a delicious, creamy, and healthy breakfast option.
Meal planning doesn’t have to be some rigid long day spent in the kitchen cooking. These Easiest Overnight Oats prove that. Not only are they super simple to make batches of. But they keep well in the fridge for up to 5 days. They are a creamy versatile breakfast option and below I am sharing our favorite add-ins for you to try with your batch of Easiest Overnight Oats.
What are overnight oats?
Overnight oats are just as they sound. Oats that sit overnight until they are ready to be enjoyed. They are an excellent alternative to cooked oats as there is no cooking required. Instead, you mix the batch up and allow them to work their magic overnight.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- It is simple to make and delicious.
- The versatility of these oats make them a great fit for meal prepping.
- They are a healthy, low sugar option for breakfast.
- You can conveniently take them with you on the go.
- There is no cooking involved.
Old-fashioned rolled oats- It is important that you use old-fashioned rolled oats for this and not quick oats or even steel-cut oats. Old-fashioned oats absorb the liquid perfectly, giving them a delicious creamy consistency.
Milk– You can use any sort of milk you like. I personally use whole or 2% milk for mine. But whatever kind you like even non-dairy options will work for these.
Yogurt- It is best to use plain yogurt especially if you are going to do add-ins. I find that plain greek yogurt gives a perfectly creamy consistency along with a little protein. But you can skip the yogurt altogether and just use a little extra milk.
Chia seeds- Completely optional, however, they give the overnight oats a nice consistency. While also providing omega-3s, fiber, and a bit of extra protein.
Add-ins- You don’t need to add anything to enjoy these overnight oats as they are slightly sweet and creamy on their own. However, it is fun to get creative and enjoy them in various ways. Since eating the same thing day after day might not be fun after a while. These overnight oats are delicious with various fruits, nuts, maple syrup, chocolate chips, or even peanut butter. The sky is the limit here so don’t be afraid to experiment and find new flavors or ways that you enjoy them. Below I have shared our favorite additions for you to try.
In a jar or container, place the oats, milk, yogurt, honey, and chia seeds inside. Stir them to combine the ingredients throughout.
Place a lid on them and pop them into the fridge. You will want the oats to sit overnight or for about 8 hours before enjoying them. When ready, you can eat them straight out of the jar or choose to top them with fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, or any topping you enjoy. Be creative! There are so many delicious add-ins for you to try. Below are some of our favorites.
Additions To Try
- Bananas with Nutella– Add 1/2 or 1 whole sliced banana to the top and 1 tbsp of Nutella over the banana slices. For crunch add 1 tbsp of chopped pecans or almonds.
- Fresh Berries– Use fresh or frozen raspberries, blackberries, cherries, or blueberries. Place the berries over the Easy Overnight Oats and drizzle a tbsp of honey over them.
- Sliced Peaches and Almonds-This is delicious with canned or fresh peaches. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup to the top of the overnight oats along with 1 tbsp of chopped almonds to add some crunch.
- Chocolate Chips and Granola- Add a tbsp of chocolate chips and a 1/4 cup of granola for a crunch. It’s a great dessert-style breakfast treat.
- Apple Cinnamon– Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of apple pie filling for a delicious fall flavor to your overnight oats. You can even make it fresh but chopping an apple, and adding 2-3 tbsp of water to a saucepan. Adding 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Allow it to simmer until cooked down.
How long do overnight oats last in the fridge?
These Easy Overnight Oats will last up to 5 days in the fridge. Making them the perfect make-ahead breakfast option if you like to meal prep. Keep in mind the longer they sit the thicker consistency they get. So you can add more milk or yogurt to help thin them out.
What should I store them in?
I use mason jars but any container with an air-tight lid will work just fine to store the overnight oats.
Are overnight oats good for you?
Yes, they are a great healthy breakfast option. You can increase the nutritional value of these oats by using either homemade fermented yogurt or using a high-quality plain yogurt packed with probiotics.
How long do overnight oats take?
True overnight oats take about 8 hours however, I have woken up and wanted them for breakfast but didn’t have them prepped. I have been able to make them and enjoy them in as little as 2 hours. At that point, they absorb just enough of the liquid to be enjoyed.
Similar Breakfast Ideas You Might Also Like
Shop This Post
Pin For Later
If you try this recipe and love it, I would appreciate you coming back to give it 5 stars! Or tag me on Instagram @rox_aquaintlife
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt (or plain yogurt)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Place the oats, milk, yogurt, honey, and chia seeds in a jar or container with a lid.
- Stir them to combine the ingredients throughout.
- Place the lid on and pop them into the fridge. You will want the oats to sit overnight or for about 8 hours before enjoying them.
- When ready, you can eat them straight out of the jar or choose to top them with fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, or any topping you enjoy. Be creative! There are so many delicious add-ins for you to try. Below are some of our favorites.
- Be sure to use old-fashioned oats, not quick oats or steel-cut oats
- True overnight oats take 8 hours
- Store in a mason jar or air-tight container in the fridge
- Oats can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 83mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 8gSugar: 26gProtein: 17g
Check Out More Favorites From The Farmhouse!
*Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through the links I provide (at no cost to you).