This recipe for Chicken and Grilled Onion Taquitos makes a crispy taquito packed with cheese, grilled onions and bits of flavored chicken.
If the title alone doesn’t make you hungry then I don’t know what will. I made these on a whim and boy did we love them. They are now a favorite snack, or even lunch if I make enough of them. These are also great for appetizers although cutting them in half when you serve is probably a good idea.
Grilled Onion Chicken Taquitos Are…
- Crispy, golden fried and perfect for dipping
- Easy to assemble
- A fun snack, appetizer or lunch
- Flavorful and satisfying
- Uses whole ingredients and completely homemade
What You Will Need To Make Them
2 chicken breasts
3 cloves of garlic
1 yellow onion
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 cup of shredded Monterey jack cheese
1- 8 count package of taco size flour tortillas or 5 large burrito sized tortillas for a larger taquito
coconut oil or olive oil for frying
Take a grill pan and coat the bottom with a bit of coconut or olive oil. While the pan heats, slice the onions. Add them to the hot skillet.
Sprinkle the sugar, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper.
While the onions caramelize, cut the chicken into small strips to help it cook faster.
Once the onions are completely cooked and even a little charred remove them from the pan and set aside.
Add a bit more coconut or olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the chicken.
Sprinkle the chicken with the cumin, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper.
While the chicken cooks, mince the garlic.
Turn the chicken and add the minced garlic to the skillet. Allow the chicken to finish cooking.
When ready remove it from the heat and transfer it to a cutting board to chop. Chop or shred the chicken into small pieces and add it back to the skillet allowing it to soak up the pan juices.
Create an assembly line with the cheese, chicken, tortillas and grilled onions.
Begin wrapping by taking equal amounts of chicken, cheese and onions placed on the center of a tortilla. Make sure not to over stuff. I like to tuck the sides to avoid spillage but it’s your preference on this one.
Roll them closed and lay them on the flap to avoid them opening. When all tortillas are stuffed and rolled. Take a clean large skillet and generously coat the bottom with coconut or olive oil. It should coat the entire bottom of the pan.
When the oil is ready place the taquitos inside flap side down.
This will cook the tortilla shut. Turn them evenly so they are golden brown on all sides. Once golden take them out of the hot skillet and serve.
Pin For Later
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love it if you would come back and give it 5 stars!
- 2 (300g) chicken breasts
- 3 (9g) garlic cloves
- 1 (110g) yellow onion
- 2 tsp (8.4g) sugar
- 2 tbsp (13g) cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp (9g) sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (4.8g) cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (110g) of shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1- 8 count package of taco size flour tortillas or 5 burrito sized tortillas for a larger taquitos
- Coconut oil or olive oil for frying
- In a small bowl combine the cumin, garlic salt and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into strips to help it cook faster, then sprinkle it with the cumin, black pepper and sea salt.
- Take a grill pan and coat the bottom with either the coconut oil or olive oil.
- Add the onions to the hot oil and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper and 2 tsp of sugar to caramelize them.
- Once the onions are completely cooked and even a little charred remove them from the pan. Set aside.
- Add more coconut or olive oil to the pan
- Add the chicken.
- Mince the garlic while the chicken cooks.
- Flip the chicken and add the minced garlic to the pan. Allow the chicken to finish cooking making sure to not let the garlic burn.
- Remove from heat. Place the chicken on a cutting board to chop. I like to add the shredded chicken back to the skillet and mix it with the pan juices.
- It is a good idea to make an assembly line with your cheese, grilled onions and chicken.
- Begin your wrapping by taking equal amounts of chicken, cheese and onions placed on the center of a tortilla. Make sure not to over stuff. I like to tuck the sides to avoid spillage but it's your preference on this one. Roll them closed and tuck the flap side down.
- Heat a clean skillet up with more coconut oil or olive oil.
- When the skillet is ready place all the taquitos inside flap side down. This will cook the tortilla shut.
- Turn them evenly so they are golden brown on all sides.
- Once golden take them out of the hot skillet.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1303mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 7gSugar: 5gProtein: 25g
Check Out More Favorites From The Farmhouse!
*Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through the links I provide (at no cost to you).