These Crispy Oven Fries are so delicious and simple to make. They taste like real fries without the fuss of frying them.
I often write about cooking from scratch. A topic that I believe is important in our overall health and even to the general enjoyment of meal time. Meals tend to taste better when they are fresh. They are of better quality and are healthier when cooked from scratch. So the question is, why not cook from scratch?
However one of the first replies and questions I get asked on this particular topic is how I would have time to do this for all meals every single day. The factor of time seems to be a standard concern. Which in today’s busy lifestyle is relevant.
Yet the idea that anything made from scratch needs to take more time than heating up something from the freezer is simply not true. When you cook from scratch you begin finding recipes and items that you can make in a pinch for those sorts of busy days we all have. You also find ways to create your favorite foods right at home instead of ordering take-out.
These Crispy Oven Fries are a great example of little effort that results in a delicious crispy french fry. That isn’t fried at all. One that doesn’t need to come from a bag and takes just about the same amount of time to make minus the chopping. The result is tastier, healthier french fries made right in the oven. Just as you would a frozen french fry. Only with these, you are using fresh potatoes and boy do these taste better.
Why I Love These Crispy Oven Fries
I don’t know too many people that don’t love a good french fry. I mean the whole fried potato thing is such a simple but delicious food. Let’s face it, potatoes in general are just one of those foods that are super versatile and a total staple in most pantries.
I mean who doesn’t love a potato? For me, specifically in fry form. The crispy texture is paired with some sea salt for a salty crunch. So good! I love dipping mine and in this post, I have included a super easy dipping sauce I like to mix up to serve alongside them. The best part and the reason I love these Crispy Oven Fries most of all is that you don’t need to fry them at all to get that crisp texture we all love in a french fry.
What You Will Need To Make Crispy Oven Fries
4 large russet potatoes
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp sea salt
baking sheet or cast iron skillet
Directions for Making Crispy Oven Fries
Begin by washing your potatoes. You can either leave the skins on or peel the potatoes if you prefer. Slice potatoes length-wise and cut them into standard french fry slices. You can do potato wedges as well but make sure to cook them a few minutes longer to ensure they are crisp enough.
Once sliced, place the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the oil, salt and paprika.
Mix the entire contents of the bowl with a large spoon making sure the oil is distributed evenly.
Place the uncooked fries into a cast iron pan or lay them out on a baking sheet.
Bake at 450℉ until golden crisp usually about 40 minutes. Serve them alongside my fry sauce.
Note For Making Crispy Oven Fries
- The thicker you cut them, the less crispy they tend to be. If you like more of a potato wedge, you can cut them in wedge size but increase the oven time to ensure they come out crisp.
- Russet potatoes work best for oven fries but you can use red potatoes as well.
- I like to use olive oil for mine but you can also use coconut oil or avocado oil for these as well.
- It is important that your fries are covered in the oil otherwise they won’t turn out as crisp so be sure to mix the oil in well.
- To prevent sticking, you can spray the baking sheet with a nonstick spray or line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper too. My preferred method is to use my cast iron skillet which I don’t do either and they come out perfect every time. But keep in mind, that the skillet should be well seasoned.
Crispy Oven Fries Dipping Sauce
I love serving this dipping sauce with these Crispy Oven Fries and I also use this same sauce to spread on burgers too. It is simple, delicious, and has a little kick that goes well with these Crispy Oven Fries. Make sure to make enough sauce for all.
Recipe for Crispy Oven Fries Dipping Sauce
3/4 cup mayo
1/4 cup ketchup
5-8 (or more if you like it super spicy) shakes of Tabasco sauce
Directions for Dipping Sauce
Makes 1 cup of Crispy Oven Fry dipping sauce. Combine in a bowl mix well and serve alongside the fries to dip.
Other Ways to Top Crispy Oven Fries
- These Crispy Oven Fries are so good that sometimes I will make them in place of breakfast potatoes. I have even thrown them into a breakfast burrito with eggs, veggies and bacon to give it a bit of a crunch. Or placed them underneath a scramble to create a diner style breakfast at home.
- Another way to serve them is serving them topped with something like Easy Black Bean Chili, or your favorite nacho toppings for a fun Friday night meal.
- Make them greek style fries by topping them with fresh herbs and feta cheese.
- Serve them alongside a steak, burger, sandwiches or as a simple side dish to any meal.
Shop This Post
If you try this recipe and love it, I would appreciate you coming back to give it 5 stars!
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Begin by washing your potatoes. You can either leave the skins on or peel the potatoes if you prefer.
- Slice potatoes length wise and cut them into standard french fry slices. You can do potato wedges as well but make sure to cook a few minutes longer to ensure they are crisp enough.
- Once sliced, place the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Add the oil, salt and paprika.
- Mix the entire contents of the bowl with a large spoon making sure the oil is distributed evenly.
- Place the uncooked fries into a cast iron pan or lay them out on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 450℉ until golden crisp usually about 40 minutes.
I like using a cast iron skillet to make mine but you can also use a baking sheet
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 2g
Pin For Later
Check Out More Favorites From The Farmhouse!
*Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive commissions if you choose to purchase through the links I provide (at no cost to you).